Friday 28 October 2011

I Love James Ramsden's Secret Larder

I’m not a nervous person, but last night I felt a little apprehensive as I arrived at James Ramsden’s supper club, because Al was at home with the children and I went on my own. It’s interesting that people assume that because you are bubbly then you don’t get butterflies. Well bubbly people to get butterflies .. we’re just good at hiding them!

James is very understated when he talks about himself, but writing for the guardian word of mouth, Waitrose Illustrated and having a brilliant cook book Small Adventures in Cooking (New Voices in Food) out he really is one of the country's finest food young writers.

Well, I needn’t have been worried.  I was made so welcome when I arrived the tables were laid beautifully, the people were lovely and chattering and everyone was very relaxed.. including James !

I was given a Moscow Mule by James’s delightful sister Mary and got chatting with some of the other guests. There was laughter, smiles and a brilliant buzz in the room, which with its high ceilings and simple clean décor made the atmosphere really open and easy.

The food was utterly delicious. A spiced soup with ginger, wild mushrooms and chilli was light and warming on a cold October evening. The charred chicory was balanced with spiced pickled pear and creamy gorgonzola -  a clever addition of ground caramelized walnut and smoked salt gave the whole dish a sweet salted crunch.  The main was pure comfort.  Slow braised beef on garlic mash with green beans that had the perfect al dente crunch. The gluten free chocolate cake that followed was just divine .. I am going to have to add the recipe into my own dinner party book of tricks.  Deep dark rich fudgey chocolate cake.   Hot coffee and rose marshmallows were the perfect ending to a superb meal.


James’s supper club is one of the best evenings I’ve had for ages.  He is naturally charming and fun, with a serious ability to turn out superb food.  I can’t wait to go back ... only next time I will definitely take my husband. I called him earlier and told him what a great evening and that I’ve re booked for the next one.


Click here to contact James. 


6 comments:

  1. I'd love to go to a supper club. Your pictures are great and really capture the fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went, just like you, alone to James' Supperclub and was equally nervous and welcomed with open arms. Isnt he the loveliest person and so talented?! Lucky you to have eaten so well. Sooooo looking forward to meeting you in a couple of weeks xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a wonderful evening - I know what you mean about it being difficult to walk into a room full of strangers no matter how outgoing you are!!

    Enjoy the next one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is one supper club I want to visit!! It seems to fill up too quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Everything looks delicious, I've been visiting this blog and each recipe has something special. I just love the blog and its pictures, so this post won't be the exception.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have heard many good things of this guy James Rmsden, but I still need to try his food and taste it with my own tongue lol

    ReplyDelete

If you are reading my blog I must warn you that I am not impartial. I want to influence you. I want to make you stop for just a moment and consider the effect of a lifetime of seemingly insignificant decisions and how making small delicious choices can change the world.

I believe that we can change the world one bite at a time.

It's a delicious revolution.