Sunday 30 May 2010

There are Times Not to Shush


The squeals of delight emitted from my six year old son, as he spotted my picture in the newspaper, brought the local newsagents to a standstill. He raced up and down the queue, crumpling the still unpaid for paper shouting look, look ..my mummy’s famous. I didn’t shush him

Writing weekly for the Northampton Chronicle and Echo is just what I need to keep me focused. Developing the recipe for the paper is a process of perfection. I made the jam, wrote up the recipe, re made the jam, altered the recipe, repeated the process and to my mind perfected it.


The radio on the other hand is a whole different matter. The subject that I was invited to talk about was barbecuing, but what exactly what aspects we going to talk about? You can’t perfect a radio interview. It just happens. I decided that the best way to talk about the food was to actually recreate the food and just before I set off to the studio I set to barbecuing John’s lunch. Luscious lemon grass skewered sausages, Chicken breasts marinated in fresh marjoram and garlic, and of course a homemade beef burger with a large dollop of Spiced Tomato jam. Still warm as I arrived, the food went down a treat, and so did the the interview. BBC Radio Northampton's afternoon show with John Griff was just brilliant. He is a man with an appetite, brilliantly engaging, I found after a few minutes I really started to enjoy myself. In fact, it was over all too quickly and for those of you who know what a chattery person I am you will know my frustration on running out of time to talk. Luckily I have been invited back again on the 9th of July. The next subject is Picnics... I’ll have time to practice on the kids first.

For anyone who wants to listen to the Spot on The John Griff Show you have just 5 more days to catch it on i player click here - it starts after 13 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are reading my blog I must warn you that I am not impartial. I want to influence you. I want to make you stop for just a moment and consider the effect of a lifetime of seemingly insignificant decisions and how making small delicious choices can change the world.

I believe that we can change the world one bite at a time.

It's a delicious revolution.