Sunday 6 February 2011

Lamb Shanks

This morning was the first ever Kitchen Garden Programme. I won't say I wasn't nervous, because I was, but between Nigel Slaters reassuring words, my husbands encouragement, my programme editors calm advice and Kevin Saddington's easy approach it was good. Really good. My friend Tara and the girls ( Ruth, Claire, Ali & Daisy ) did such a fabulous job of testing out the caraway and parmesan muffins and when I got home Al put his arms around me and told me he was sooo proud. it was the best feeling ever.

It's hard to believe that I am handing over the final edit tomorrow. Certainly I had no idea it was going to be such allot of work. Really .. every teeny tiny little detail had to be right and even now, with just this evening left to change anything I am cooking a Bolognese to check that the quantities are exact.

In the mean time this is the 1st version of the Lamb Shanks Recipe. I have plans to replace the red current jelly with a cherry one.. but I shall have to wait a while before the cherries come out before I can start on that .. so this is the base recipe if you like... it's a classic, and the only thing I'd ask you to bear in mind if you make it is to try to get local lamb. I appreciate it's not always possible, but it's worth buying local and supporting our farmers if we get the opportunity.

Lamb Shanks

2 tbs rape seed oil

6 trimmed lamb shanks

3 carrots peeled and sliced lengthways

2 leeks, washed and sliced lengthways

1 onion chopped

2 cloves of Garlic peeled and sliced

2 stems of Rosemary

3 bay leaves

750ml of red wine

2 – 3 heaped tbs of Redcurrant Jelly OR use Linked recipe > Plum Jam

1. Preheat the oven to 160C/325F/Gas 3.

2. In a large casserole heat the oil and over a moderate to high heat and brown the lamb shanks all over, until evenly colored. This gets the flavor in.

3. Add the carrot, onion, garlic and herbs.

4 Pour over enough wine to cover the meat of the shanks - about a whole bottle

5 Place the casserole with a lid on into the oven and cook until the meat is tender. (about 3 – 3 1/2 hours) Slightly uncover the pot for the last hour as the liquid will start to reduce.

6 After about 3 hours remove the casserole from the oven. Set the Shanks to one one side and Remove the vegetables from the cooking liquid with a slotted spoon or strain the liquid through a sieve. Pop the Shanks back into the oven on a baking tray for 20 minutes to roast and in the mean time make the gravy by heating up the cooking liquid until boiling, then boil until the volume has reduced by half. Stir in the redcurrant jelly until melted.

7 Serve the lamb shanks and reserved vegetables with mashed potatoes, seasonal vegetables and the gravy.


1 comment:

  1. This not only looks superb I can practically taste it Yummy and you have superb photos really enjoyed your blog

    ReplyDelete

If you are reading my blog I must warn you that I am not impartial. I want to influence you. I want to make you stop for just a moment and consider the effect of a lifetime of seemingly insignificant decisions and how making small delicious choices can change the world.

I believe that we can change the world one bite at a time.

It's a delicious revolution.