Tuesday 23 November 2010

Instant Mincemeat

Here's a recipe from the book . I thought I'd share it with Christmas is coming up time is getting shorter and shorter. For a time short foodie like me I absolutely want to make my own. But seeing as Christmas week I seem to rush about like my hair os on fire I often realise too late that I haven't made mince meat. This recipe is so quick and simple to make - it's happiness a pot as fa as I am concerned. Packed full of orange, spices and fruit - it tastes fantastic and what's more a jar in the fridge makes a super emergency gift - and you know you need that peace of mind of having one stashed - just in case!


Makes 2 x 440ml Jars

Preparation 10 minutes
Cooking 20 minutes

170 ml Brandy

200g soft brown sugar

170g dried cherries/ blueberries or mixture

300g Fresh Cranberries

200g of currents and raisins

30g peeled very finely grated fresh ginger

2 tsp mixed spice

juice and zest of 2 medium oranges

1 Vanilla pod cut into 4 pieces

1 Add the sugar and brandy into a large pan and warm gently. Add the fresh cranberries and cook gently for about 3 minutes. Stir well.

2 Tip the Dried fruit, ginger, mixed spice, orange juice and zest and vanilla and stir well. Cover and simmer very gently for about 15 minutes, stirring and checking occasionally.

3 Spoon into clean jars and store in the fridge. This keeps happily for up to 2 weeks.

2 comments:

  1. I've been given a jar of mincemeat that I'll be using soon, but I've grown to really like the stuff. When I run out of the jar I've got, I'm definitely giving this a try! Sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You totally saved my Thanksgiving and I gave you props for it on my blog post. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete

If you are reading my blog I must warn you that I am not impartial. I want to influence you. I want to make you stop for just a moment and consider the effect of a lifetime of seemingly insignificant decisions and how making small delicious choices can change the world.

I believe that we can change the world one bite at a time.

It's a delicious revolution.